Ok, so I have to admit. I am not the best at experimenting with recipes. I always question which flavors I should combine to create a yummy dish. I am a character of habit and like to stick to what I know taste good. There is definitely a group of ingredients that always find their way in each recipe, which sometimes causes my dinners to all start to taste similar. My husband on the other hand loves to just play around in the kitchen with no direction. He really is so good at creating random dishes with whatever ingredients we have on hand. It's always fun when he decides to cook dinner. I know it will be something new!
Anyway, he worked his magic this week and created such a cool dish! Drum roll please..beet risotto. The combination of salty and sweet really hit the spot for me. It is the perfect (and best looking) side dish to any meal, and is pretty filling. You won't even know you are eating beets!
- 2 medium beets coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cup of Guidry’s/Trinity mix(chopped onions, celery and bell pepper)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
- 1 small jalapeno finely chopped with seeds
- About 1 ½ cups veggie broth
- ½ cup of red wine
- 1/3 cup of grapeseed oil
- Handful of chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Heat stove on medium heat with grapeseed oil
- Brown Guidry’s mix until almost golden brown
- Add seasonings and stir
- Continue to stir while you add beets and then jalapenos
- Sautee until beets become soft and mixture becomes entirely red (8-10 minutes)
- Add wine and quinoa
- Let the quinoa soak up the wine for about 2-5 minutes
- Gradually add veggie broth while continually stirring (low-medium heat)-add about ¼ cup of broth every 5 minutes as the quinoa absorbs the broth
- Keep stirring until quinoa becomes soft and sticky.
- Serve immediately with chopped chives on top