When you think of spaghetti sauce the first thing that comes to mind is tomatoes, right? Well, we are about to change that mindset with this beet sauce! If you are in the mood for a lite but satisfying pasta dish that is low in carbs and calories then we have the dish for you. This beet sauce is so delicious and won’t have you feeling guilty for indulging in a big bowl of spaghetti! Even if you aren’t a beet fan we promise you will be after this recipe. You can’t even taste them! Try it for yourself and get creative. This is just the base for a million different recipe combinations.
- 2-3 red beets, skinned and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of coconut butter (or dairy free butter)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Zucchini noodles “Zucchetti”:
- Use a vegetable spiralizer (we used a veggetti) to create the zucchini noodles
- Put zucchini pasta into a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes
- Immediately pour cooked noodles into a strainer so it doesn’t cook too much and become too soft.
- Sauté onions until translucent
- Add in garlic and cook for 5 minutes
- Next, add carrots, beets, seasonings, veggie stock and red wine and bring to a boil
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until carrots and beets are soft
- Allow mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes
- Pour mixture into food processor and puree
- Pour sauce over noodles and enjoy!
*Note: you can add mushrooms, eggplant or squash to sauce after pureed if you want chunkier sauce!