I won't mislead you by saying this is an easy recipe, but I can promise that the final product will be worth the extra TLC. Lentils are always a go-to ingredient for us because of the protein and fiber they are packed with. These lentil cakes were inspired by ambitious kitchen blog. They actually turned out better than expected based on how they looked during preparation! We put pico de gallo on top of each patty but quickly realized the endless topping possibilities. This recipe is a great dish to have for summertime. Enjoy!
*Makes about 6 patties
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- *Dash of cayenne pepper if you like a little kick!
- ½ cup of cilantro, slightly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- ¼ cup of almond flour (gluten-free)*any gluten free flour will work
- *Pico de Gallo-optional as a topping
- Cook lentils according to package. Lentils should be soft and a bit mushy. Drain any excess water. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine chickpeas, cooked lentils, garlic, cilantro, sea salt, cumin and chili powder in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Next, transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add in the onion, jalapeno, red bell pepper and carrot. Mix well. Stir in the almond flour a little at a time and work into mixture with your hands.
- Shape mixture into 6 thick patties
- Heat skillet on medium high heat with olive oil. Cook a few patties at a time on each side for a few minutes or until golden brown/crispy.
- Place patties on top of lettuce and serve with pico de gallo on top!