We've got the beet! Whether you are a beet lover or a beet hater, incorporating this superfood into your diet is the best thing you can do! Steam them, roast them, juice them or eat them raw...the amount of health benefits these little guys provide are insane. Beets are GREAT detoxifiers and will cleanse your body of all the toxins. They contain folic acid which is great for pregnant woman to eat during pregnancy and for the unborn baby's growth. Beets contain iron and vitamin B which boosts your energy and stamina. Do you need anymore convincing? If you have never cooked with beets before here is an recipe to get you started. *Note: if you are a newbie to eating beets we suggest starting with golden beets. There are milder in taste and don't have as much of an earthy flavor like red beets do!
- 1-2 bunches of golden beets
- 1/2-1 yellow onion, sliced
- handful of chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup of yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub beets under cold water to get dirt and pesticides off.
- Wrap each beet in foil and roast them in oven on 400 degrees for about an hour.
- Once beets can be easily pierced with a fork, remove from oven and allow to cool
- Once cooled, beet skin should slide right off.
- Cut beets into halves or fourths and serve with yellow onion and sunflower seeds
- Drizzle dressing over beet salad and sprinkle green onions on top.
- *Can be served at room temperature or chilled