Everyone has that one meal they remember eating as a kid. You know, that one dinner that your mom makes better then any other mom. Well, for our family it was our mom’s rice and gravy. It was always a good night at our house when this was on the menu for dinner. We decided to re-create this recipe to make it as guiltless as possible. After eating almost three servings last night, we think it is safe to say we were successful at creating delicious guiltless gravy. It was such a simple and quick recipe. We served over brown rice and had a fresh, crisp green salad on the side. It was such a great, satisfying dinner. Although nothing will every come close to our mom’s rice and gravy, this remix may be a close second. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 5 cloves minced or pressed garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Tamari (Soy Sauce)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Salt and Red Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour (Substitute any flour you’d like)
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch (optional)
1) Sauté chopped onions and garlic until golden in olive oil and Tamari. Add the mushrooms and cook a few more minutes.
2) Add 2 cups of vegetable broth, the nutritional yeast and all of the herbs
3) Mix flour and almond milk until smooth then combine with the rest of the ingredients and keep stirring over low heat as the gravy thickens.
4) For even thicker gravy, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and pour it in the gravy.
5) Let gravy cook down for 10-15 minutes