We recently stumbled upon a new blog, detoxinista, and discovered a new recipe. The title “Dairy Free Mac and Cheese” did not sound too appetizing at first glance, but we thought it was worth a try. THANK GOODNESS WE DID. This dish quickly became one of our top three favorite recipes. The “cheese” sauce is made with blended cashews and nutritional yeast and we used brown rice pasta. We are being honest when we say it tasted like a gourmet, perfectly seasoned, not too heavy mac and cheese. I knew it was a hit when I saw Catherine’s face after her first bite. We are naturally dramatic but you would have thought she just created a masterpiece…a Mac and Cheese Masterpiece. Her eyes were big, smile across her face and giant fork in her hand. She was satisfied to say the least. With a side of roasted asparagus, this was a top-notch dinner. Oh yea, and it is oil-free! It is a very simple recipe to follow. If you are trying to cut out dairy and are missing your favorite “cheesy” dishes, this is a must try! Hope you all enjoy.
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 3 table spoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ clove garlic
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard (yellow mustard would work too)
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice pasta (or quinoa pasta or pasta of your choice)
- sprinkle of black pepper
- sprinkle of paprika
- *optional add-ins: sauteed mushrooms, spinach, and broccoli (highly recommend) but get creative with your add-ins!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Start boiling some water to prepare your pasta.
- In a blender or food processor, throw the first ten ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy!
- Keep checking on your pasta. Once it’s cooked to your liking, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot to be mixed with the cheese sauce.
- If you decide to add roasted or sautéed veggies, this would be the time to do it.
- Once you’ve mixed everything together, pour the mac n’ cheese into an 8 x 8 square dish and garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and black pepper. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.