Another quinoa recipe! We made these stuffed peppers Easter weekend and they were a hit! You can add ingredients to this recipe or make substitutions.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 fifteen oz can of diced tomatoes, drained, reserve the liquid
- 1 fifteen oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ten oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese (we used Daiya dairy-free cheese)-optional
- 4 large colored bell peppers, cut top off and remove seeds
- 2 table spoons of Olive oil
- 1-tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Then add in onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until soft (about five-ten minutes). Add ingredients (cumin, oregano, paprika, and garlic) Sauté for one minute. Stir in drained tomatoes. Cook for another five minutes. Stir in the black beans, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium/low heat, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook for five minutes. Stir in cooked quinoa and 1 cup of cheese (if you choose to add cheese). Top off the mixture with salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
- Fill each bell pepper with a heaping ¾ cup of the quinoa mixture and place in baking dish. Cover with foil and bake between an hour to an hour and fifteen. Let sit for 5 minutes when finished. After, transfer peppers to plates and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.