Waking up Saturday morning to this beautiful, cool weather motivated us to cook up a warm, seasonal meal. We came across a tasty looking sweet potato lentil stew recipe on www.savvyvegetarian.com. This recipe does call for some ingredients you may not have, but this stew is so yummy it is worth the trip to the grocery store. We tried it out last night and absolutely loved it! It was the perfect dinner for this cool weather. Sweet potatoes and lentils have become two of our go-to foods so when we stumbled upon this recipe we knew it would be a hit. We chose to cook it on the stove, which took about 45 minutes, but you can easily cook it in a Crockpot as well. Hope you all enjoy!
- 5-6 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2-3 cups peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil leaf
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Low sodium soy sauce
- First, rinse and drain the brown lentils. Combine vegetable broth and lentils in pot and bring to a boil. After, add tomato paste and let cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil on medium low in a sauté pan and add garlic and jalapeno. Sauté together for a couple minutes or until soft. Add the rest of the vegetables and turn the heat up to medium/high and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add in all spices (except parsley and soy sauce) to vegetables and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add all the vegetables to the broth and lentils and bring to a boil again. After, add the soy sauce and parsley and turn the heat to low. Let cook covered for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- We added a little more of each seasoning to the entire stew before we let it sit and cook together.
* Add more or less of each seasoning to match your liking. You can also add more vegetables if you’d like. There are endless possibilities!